Honolulu is the next to last team on the down on the farm report. It took some time to get the stats together, as our scouts had to travel to Hawaii to watch these guys play. Some of the scouts loved the "free lei" as they got off the plane, and the other thought it was a different kind they were going to get .Here is what we found in Hawaii.
1. Miguel Chavez.....Miguel is currently in AAA and doing a nice job down there. He is hitting .298 with 16 doubles, 2 triples, 4 homers, while driving in 34 runs. He has walked 29 times, while striking out 72. Miguel's splits are average across the board. I do believe he will find a major league team in the future to give him his shot.
2. Marty Sweeney.......Marty is in High A this season and doing very well. He has a .342 average, to go along with his .414 OBP. He has 26 doubles, 1 triples, 14 homers, 56 RBI'S, while walking 43 times so far this season. Marty actually has good enough splits and ratings to make the major league at some point in his career.
3. Timothy Cannon..... Timothy has excellent power, a superb batting eye, low contact, and low splits....He is your typical Jim Thome , walk , strikeout ,or homer....Do not expect him to steal bases or have alot of triples. He has a .319 average, 27 doubles,1 triple, 28 homers, while driving in 75. He has 53 walks, while fanning 85 times.
4.Pedro Beltran.... Pedro is in Low A this season and doing a fine job there. He is 6-4 with a 2.91 ERA. In 77 innings, he has given up 73 hits, 5 homers, 29 walks, while fanning 83. He has 4 pitches, decent control, good stamina, decent splits, and the heart of a future transplant patient.
5. Vance Cook.... Vance is one of those pitchers you have to keep your eye on. He has very good control, very good splits, 3 pitches that will keep him in the major leagues for a long time. He is 4-2 with 1 save, and a 1.69 ERA. In 42 innings, he has given up 33 hits, 4 homers, 10 walks , and striking out 45.
6. Shin -Soo Brea... Brea is one of the elite closer prospects that we have seen in a long time....He has great control, good splits, and 3 pitches.He is 23 for 24 in save chances, and a sparkling 0.86 ERA. In 31 innings, he has given up 17 hirs,0 homers, 8 walks,while striking out 30. Being left handed, he has been tagged the next Billy Wagner.
7.Royce Shouse......Royce has good stamina, great control, good splits, and 4 pitches that could make him a very dangerous pitcher. He could be used as a starter, or reliever. In 84 innings, he has given up 78 hits, 5 homers, 24 walks, while striking out 72. He is alsO 6-7, with a 2.87 ERA in AAA.