Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Dizzy Leonard Responds to Chick Munson

 

The Chick Munson I Knew

By Landon “Dizzy” Leonard, courtesy of the CSP Front Office

I wish I hadn’t read what I read today.  As you know, both Chick (or as his momma named him, Joey) and I grew up in Oklahoma.  Oklahoma may be a big place on the map, but if you aint from the City or Tulsa it’s a pretty small place.   I first met Joey Munson in the year 13 when I was 11 and he was 9.  I was the best player in my little league team and probably in Pushmatha County, but I was not a star.  Joey, however, was a legend from day 1.  He wasn’t just the best player for his age in Blaine County, he was the best in the whole darn state.  He always “played up.”  He was the best little leaguer on the all-star team when I met him, he made the high school team in 8th grade and that was only because they wouldn’t let him try out in 7th grade.  He beat us in the playoffs my junior year when he was a Freshman.  He was THE BEST.  ALWAYS.  When we were playing travel ball he was always good to me.  I wouldn’t say we were friends- after all he was younger and we grew up on the opposite sides of the state-but we were friendly.  Its why I have never shared what I am telling you now before.

 


Before I do though, I want to say up front that I am glad he was deservedly elected to the Hall of Fame.  Even in the majors he was the best.  Better than the best.  Also, I have no issue whatsoever with his personal choices.  In no way do his personal choices harm me.  He has always been honest and forthright in his dealings and his entire career was scandal free. 

Further, I want to acknowledge that while he exaggerated my mental health struggles in his recent interview about me, he isn’t making them up.  Suicide is a bit much, but I struggle.  When I played I could fill my days with baseball.  Its why I trained and played obsessively.  Why I was able to pitch so long. It kept my mind busy.  Further, it’s probably made me a bit attention seeking since I retired.  Something must fill the day.  But that is the problem growing up knowing each other isn’t it?  He knows my skeletons and I know his.  I sure wished he hadn’t shared mine.

 

 


Ever wonder how a young man from the most conservative part of the most conservative state would go by the name “Chick”?  Especially when he has such a cool given name?  I mean my name isn’t Dizzy of course, its Landon Leonard.  Don’t laugh.  But the kids told me I trained so hard it made them dizzy just watching and eventually it’s what everyone called me.  Unlike most of the boys, Joey never had a nickname.  That is until the summer of 18.  Growing up in Clayton, I had never been to Canton.  Canton is a tiny town, less than a 1000 but the fields at the high school are nice enough and Joey was a big enough star (nationally recognized at this point) that they decided to have one of the travel ball tournaments in Canton.  We all played our morning game and then Joey wanted to show a few of us around town.  

After getting some lunch at El Charros and running an errand for his dad at Canton Farm Supply he told us “the only reason anyone EVER comes to Canton is the see the Movie Poster Service.  It literally has the largest supply of vintage movie posters in the world.  You want to see ‘em?  I work part time over there so I got keys.  My great uncle Bob started collecting ‘em back in the depression and sold the business to my mom’s brother Cleophas and his wife Lou Ann a few years back.  I even have a separate room of my own memorabilia.  We have all the controversial ones.  Man Bites Dog, Silent Night, Deadly Night, and even the People vs. Larry Flint”.  

We had nothing better to do so we quickly agreed.  We got in there and it was huge.  It really was impressive.  There were thousands of posters.  He took us upstairs and on one of those stick thingies that they have for newspapers in libraries were the ones he said were his favorite.  He told us to look at them while he slipped into some kind of closet.  A minute later he peeked out and said grab that first one.  We did and it was a Pulp Fiction poster.  He then slipped around the door and gosh darn it if he wasn’t the in the exact dress that Uma Therman was on the poster.  “When you little scamps get together, you’re worse than a sewing circle” he said in his best falsetto.  What a funny surprise!  A little weird, but hilariously unexpected.  

Two minutes later he was in Vivian Leigh’s red dress saying “Tara! Home. I'll go home. And I'll think of some way to get him back. After all, tomorrow is another day.”  Next it was Audrey Hepburn’s little  black number saying “No, no, you disapprove of me. And I will not accept drinks from gentlemen who disapprove of me. I'll pay for my own whiskey and don't you forget it!”.  This was getting too weird and suddenly one of the other boys peaked into the closet and there must have been 30 dresses in there.  The boy suddenly yelled “you aint no ball player, you’re a chick!”  We all laughed, but I didn’t think much more of it.  One of the boys must have talked to his team though, because by the last game guys were yelling when he struck someone out (which he did a lot) “What’s the matter, can’t you hit off a chick?”

I didn’t hear much more about it until it was baseball season and suddenly, he was playing for Helena.  Rumor was that the teasing got so intense in Canton that he went to stay with his cousins in Helena to get away from the distraction.  He looked happy when he beat us in the semi-finals, but obviously the name stuck.

I get no joy from bringing this story to light, but as the saying goes “if you don’t say nothing, there aint gonna be nothing.”