Sunday, March 12, 2023

Meet the Owner - ChillyWilly1

New owner interview hosted by Commissioner Daubs.

Q: Tell us about ChillyWilly1. What is he like? What does he do in his spare time when not obsessing over your rosters?

A: ChillyWilly has just become an unexpected father/guardian of a 9 month old girl. My sister just recently passed away from Cancer at age 21. I took over guardianship of her daughter as my family did not want anything to do with mixed race children. I worked in a Penguin Emporium up until this happened. Hence how I got nicknamed ChillyWilly . My name is William and I hate cold weather.

Q: So you're newer to HBD, but seem to have jumped feet first with a few teams. What do you enjoy the most about the game? Besides the commissioner reaching out to recruit you, what intrigued you about joining Cobbfather?
(COMMISH NOTE - Commissioner only answered a site mail and barely even recruited ChillyWilly)

A: I watched the chat board for a few weeks before inquiring about a team. I want to find a world that is stable and there is even parity to get the chance to learn and watch how all owners build and run their teams. What I enjoy most about the game (certainly not coach hiring) is learning that there is much more to players than just their ratings. I am learning more daily on how things work and how to utilize certain players now.

Q: What is your favorite part about building a franchise? Do you try to make a lot of trades? Would you rather build through the draft or IFA? Or just buy a team like Steinbrenner used to do?

A: My theory is to try and get my ML team set from the first season. I will trade and snatch players off the free agent market all the time. I feel if I can get the ML team set than the next few seasons I can build the minor league system up. I have not dabbled in the IFA market yet as I have a hard time losing 50% of the money when it is transferred over. I feel I can use that money to sign cheap free agents and build my team more. I know the IFA'S can be great players but I also know how competitive the market can be.

Q: Of your current roster, who do you like most? Promise they will never read these articles? What about prospects? Who are you looking forward to the ML team in the next couple of seasons?

A: I really have not got attached or fell in love with anyone on the ML roster as of yet. Maybe when trades settle and the free agent period is over it will be more clear. 2 prospects that really catch my eye are Edgmer Romero(AAA) who looks like he could be a lights out closer. Doc Hooker(High A) this guy has 2 professional jobs. He is a Doc and a Hooker :) He looks pretty decent as well but how could you not like his name.

Q: What are your goals for the upcoming season? Are you looking to push for the playoffs? Or do you expect to rebuild for a couple of seasons?

A: My goal is the same for every season. I try and put the best team on the field to compete. I do not try to lose games for better draft picks. I never have totally rebuilt a franchise yet. I have take a team from 64 wins in another world to 102 in my first season. Went to the series (and lost) my first season of HBD. That actually made it worse as now I got the pennant fever in my blood.
(COMMISH NOTE - No one likes a bragger about making a World Series in their first season...)

Q: Since you've only been in the league for a few days, this may be tough to answer but what has been your favorite aspect(s) of Cobbfather so far?

A: My favorite part of Cobbfather so far is the way owners seem to care about the world and the integrity of it. I also dig the blog. The first world I have been in that one was active.

Q: What advice would you give a new owner in HBD? Besides making sure to ignore most conversations with the Commissioner of Cobbfather?

A: My advice for new owners is to be patient and do not feel like you have to trade like crazy when you take over a team. Players will perform better in certain ballparks and in certain situations. There is more to look at than just an overall rating. If you can get through coach hiring than you did good :)

Q: Any final thoughts going into the Season?

A: I am glad to have the chance to be apart of this world. I hope in the future to be better owner and player than I am today. I want to learn and watch the veterans play the game in this world to get some ideas from them for the future.