Friday, September 27, 2024

New Owner Interview - Welcome Arfy!

(EDITOR NOTE: The commish is boring and doesn't include any fun images to lead the article. Boo Canada!)

Commissioner: Tell us about Arfy. What is he like? What does he do in his spare time when not obsessing over your rosters?

A: My name is Lauren. Yes, I'm a dude! I'm 51 years old. Act like I'm 30.
I live in South Florida. Grew up in Montana. Also lived in Wisconsin and Washington most of my life. Obsessing is the word. I get something in my head and I can't let it go. I'm thinking about my teams 24/7. I'm a serious gamer as I find myself playing Flying Simulator, or Call of Duty, or Pubg several hours of the week.

C: Obviously, you're a very experienced owner. What intrigued you about joining Cobbfather?

A: I love the active blog. In my younger days we had the Pine Tar world blog quite active. But stuff happened, and I didn't have time to keep up with it. And when my momentum went down, so did everyone else's.

C: What is your proudest moment in HBD?

A: Actually, my proudest isn't just in hbd itself. I'm most proud of the fact that I've won titles in the big 3 WIS games. I have 5 Gridiron Dynasty titles, 26 Hoops Dynasty Titles, and now 2 Hardball Dynasty titles. I know for a fact there aren't many people in that boat. (Commissioner's Note - No one likes a bragger, Arfy. ;) )

C: What is your favorite part about building a franchise? Do you try to make a lot of trades? Would you rather build through the draft or IFA? Or just buy a team like Steinbrenner used to do?

A: Taking over a franchise is the most exciting part to me. I don't even care what condition it is in. I'm confident enough that I feel I can make just about any franchise at least competitive. I pride myself in finding players that nobody wants and then using them to my advantage. I recently had a player in another world that passed waivers 12 times and still had an era under 5.

I'm not big into trades. I use it as a last resort mostly. Although sometimes I like to take advantage of teams having fire sales late in the season and get great players for dirt cheap. I don't understand that thinking honestly. . I don't really have one way that I build my teams. I usually just make the best deal I can. Although I feel I'm pretty good at getting good talent through the draft.

C: Of your current roster, who do you like most? Promise they will never read these articles! What about prospects? Who are you looking forward to the ML team in the next couple of seasons?

A: Honestly I feel that with as many times as the team finished dead last, it should have much better talent and prospects. I would have to say Gordon Eyre is probably my favorite. I'm hoping he can start putting up better numbers than he did last season though.

C: What are your goals for the upcoming season? Are you looking to push for the playoffs? Or do you expect to rebuild for a couple of seasons?

A: My goal for this season is to shoot for near the .500 mark. I just don't want our fans to have to endure being a carpet anymore. I think we can be competitive within 3 or 4 seasons. For now, I'll be happy just hovering around the .500 mark

C: What has been your favorite aspect(s) of Cobbfather so far?

A: Once again the active blog. Something no other world compares to. I look forward to the glory of the New York Empire that I expect the writers to be talking about soon in seasons to come.

C: What advice would you give a new owner in HBD? Besides making sure to ignore most conversations with the Commissioner of Cobbfather?

A: My biggest advice would be to find value in players that others don't. Create a system that others don't use, and stick to it no matter what happens.