Monday, July 5, 2021

Meet the Owner - Napoli

 Catherine Trammell - Contributing Reporter


Catherine Trammell: Good morning once again Cobbfather faithful! Time to me another new owner, this one has little experience under his belt, or so it appears. So Napoli, are you as green as we've heard or is there a Clark Kent to your Napoli? 

NapoliGreat to be here Catherine. I'm more like Jimmy Olsen than Clark Kent. Jimmy's new in town, and Jimmy is sweet on you. But before I get in trouble, to answer your question, Napoli is my only WIS account. I have a lot to learn.

CT: Well good luck, I know many of owners have tried. What is your gut instinct on your roster this season? 

N: Well Catherine, this roster isn't a World Series contender, but it's also not empty. Davy Oliver could be an all star and we've got other isolated areas of strength and potential. Had a great IFA signing this weekend, a 23-year old 5-pitch pitcher at 74 overall now with 84 potential. We have a lot of weaknesses, but we're rarely getting blown out so I don't think we're that far away from making a little noise.

CT: Making noise is good! After all, it's 4th of July weekend. And that 84 potential, seems like a good signing! We'll see how he shakes out versus righties. If he can improve there, he should seem fairly useful; especially since he induces so many groundballs, even with a great 4-seam fastball. He's a healthy buck too. Well the fans are to too familiar with the short stint in Seattle for your franchise, which player is your current worse contract?

N: I don't know a thing about the past owners, but I'll send them nothing but love. This is a complicated game and a lot of contract gambles won't pay off, as I'm already learning. All that said, worst contract winner is Don "Soul Train" Cornelius, he's making $5.6 million this year to pitch underhanded for my AA team. Sadly that's where he belongs. The good news is most of the really bad contracts are done after this season, so I just set a high payroll this year and we'll ride it out as the roster turns over.

CT: Soul Train better be paying for bus upgrades for his teammates at that much for money for AA ball. I still can't believe the Lonnie Mills deal from a few years back. What a steal for Colorado Springs. Should be interesting to see what you do with the team next year. On the flip, what is your team's greatest asset?

N: Our concessions? Our cheerleaders? Our high draft position? I mean, we're a bad team. We've got payroll flexibility after season 49, so I guess that counts as an asset?

CT: Definitely counts, just too bad you it wasn't this year when you could pick up Alex Tarraga, Gary Strandridge, Koyie Ward, or Nick Ferrell. Since wins might be limited, what will you call a W this season? 

N: We're trying hard to win every game, but I'm not measuring success strictly by Ws and Ls this season. It's about player development and identifying individuals who can help us in the next 3-5 seasons, especially pitchers. It'd be great if we could lose less than 100, but even if we lose 110 there can still be success. Trust the process, as they say.

CT: #TrustTheProcess. Was the move to Los Angeles part of the process? 

N: I guess I should say something strategic about the ballpark dimensions, but nah. I spend a lot of time in LA for work, to visit family, and just for fun. Took my wife there for our first out-of-town date and we basically covered the whole area from Santa Monica to Downtown to Orange County in a long weekend. There's just so much random, formal, informal, and unique stuff to do there. It's one of my favorite cities in the world, decades of great memories, and makes me happy whenever I think of going back.

CT: I'm sure the fans are glad to hear how much you love their city, and know that you don't plan to move them anytime soon. What is your biggest challenge this season?

N: Weak ticket sales... LA's notorious rush hour traffic... baseball in general... you name it, we're making it a challenge. We're in the bottom third in pitching and hitting and fielding. Everything challenges the Los Angeles Summers. There's not much top-level talent here and I probably could have been more active in free agency. We'll be more aggressive next offseason.

CT: Well with all that money freeing up, it will be interesting to see who you go after. So hot topic: should the DH be in the NL?

N: I'm a long term hardcore anti-DH guy. I love National League baseball because the double switch is such a fascinating strategic element of the game. Managers really have to be savvy and attentive. AL, you just plop a strong but unathletic dude in the heart of your order and he stays there all game. I know chicks dig the longball, Catherine, but even you have to admit AL style ball is a missed opportunity to watch smart managers match wits.

CT: Moving on to the important topics, and be aware that the Canadian commish will be reading your response. Canadian or American bacon?

N: American bacon for food, Canadian Bacon for the movie. That said, get ready for some non-sponsored heresy. I'm a huge fan of Beyond Burgers. What that company is doing with lab grown meat is downright wild. My father in law is a vocal hater of the stuff and I know faux beef offends some people, but I think it's delicious and I think there's a ton of potential for it in the future. Imagine self-marinating steaks... chicken wings with habanero pepper mixed into their DNA.... sorry Catherine, like I said, I'm going with Mexican bacon.

CT: Faux burgers, sounds like California picked you and not the other way around. Mexican bacon? Wonder if that's made from agave too. What about your favorite MLB hall of famer?

N: Great question to end on Catherine. I really wish Ron Santo could have been alive for his 2012 induction. On top of being deserving statistically, Santo was a good man with profound strength of character and desire to help others. I met the man at Spring Training once, and the old dude was as genuine humble and friendly as it gets. He's an example for me to aspire to as I take on this great managerial challenge in LA, in this great league we all call Cobbfather.

CT: There you are folks, another new owner in the books. Good luck Napoli this season!