Friday, July 30, 2021

Meet the Owner - cwiddoes

  Catherine Trammell - Contributing Reporter


Catherine Trammell: Good morning once again Cobbfather faithful! Time to me another new owner, this one looks to be very competitive; making the playoffs 37 of his 72 storied seasons. 25 of those being division titles, and ended up going all the way in 4 of those seasons. He owns a career (at least this career) .526 lifetime record, though his Huntington Tropics are definitely not helping the case this year. So cwiddoes, why the move to Huntington?

cw: I don't know why, but I was feeling a very Flint Tropics vibe from this team; I'm a big fan of the movie Semi Pro. Since Flint wasn't an option, I found another blue-collar town to make our home. 

CT: I'll check the rulebook to see if there is anything in there about playing drunk. Who do you consider the cornerstone of your franchise and your favorite player? 

cw: For a while there, it was Koyie Ward, but after deciding it made sense to move him and look toward the furture, I'd have to say Grayson Lowry, Who doesn't love a 3B prospect that mashes righties? Maybe not a future MVP, but a solid piece to build with. 

CT: How do you feel about the pulse of the franchise was when you took over? 

cw: Probably the least desirable situation I've ever taken over, but I love that challenge. Bloated contracts, no flexibility, no comp picks, didn't even have many roster spots to work with. Fortunately most of the contracts expire this offseason, but it was clear right away that this would have to be a transition year. 

CT: Appears you transitioned right into the free agent market. Your signing of Ward in the offseason was questioned by some media outlets, but you flipped him for 3 players; which are you most excited about and why? It's a wash this year and next on contracts, but saves some money for future spending the three following years.  

cw: Can I just say I'm still unclear on the skepticism of that signing? I was happy to get him at less than $20M per, and I've seen lesser pitchers get the full max plenty of times. I get that it's a big number and 5 years for a pitcher over 30, but he's awesome and has great makeup so figures to be awesome for most, if not all of that contract. Plus, I had no other use for the money I gave him because I couldn't get into the IFA market and didn't see other great options in this FA class. So yeah, I signed him thinking he either helps me compete or I can trade him for future value. On the return, the two RP prospects are fine, and McKay can help me next year or bring back comp picks if he opts out. 

CT: We'll keep an eye out on McKay and if he sticks around long-term. Let's talk about the four trades you've made. Which are you happiest with and which do you wish you could get a do over?

cw: I was definitely happy to acquire a prospect like Lowry (from Atl) given the dearth of veteran trade assets I inherited. Clearing some salary for next year and landing Charles Loewer (from Dover) felt good, although we'll see how effective he can be with such poor pitch quality. Hard to say I'd want a do over on my deals, aside from maybe the stress of the Atlanta deal fiasco. 

CT: I'm sure Atlanta owner ekoontz appreciated the extra money sent his way in that deal as well. How do you feel about the Rule 4 draft this year, give us your thoughts on #7 pick Jeremi Diaz.

cw: Totally solid pick. Maybe not a star, but a nice piece to start building with. Picking in the top 10, I'd prefer to have 20/20 scouting, but I'll take Diaz and keep moving forward. 

CT: It took a lot to sign him, but congrats! Thinking ahead, what's your game plan to continue building? Will you dip into the IFA market, sign FAs, or continue to build from the draft. As it stands it appears you'll have a top 2 pick next year.

cw: Not quite sure, to be honest. I am looking forward to a clean cap sheet this offseason and will definitely be aggressive looking to improve the roster through trades and FA. Those who know me, know that I love to trade; so Huntington will be open for business. Will also invest in the draft with that top pick. IFA is always tricky, so will have to wait and see how things shake out on that front. Going to do my best to build a winner quickly, rather than bottoming out for a prolonged stretch. 

CT: What does the owner of the Huntington Tropics like to do in his free time?

cw: Any time I don't spend on HBD and my three-month old daughter goes to my day job, which is running content and social media for an NBA team. But let's be honest, it's all about my daughter and HBD. 

CT: Well hopefully in that order too. Knowing your tie into Semi-Pro, what position would you play Will Ferrell on the Tropics? 

cw: Great question. Jackie Moon is....creative...offensively, so I'm sure he'd find some ways to get on base. I'd probably stick him in RF despite his lack of mobility. 

CT: There you are folks, another new owner in the books. Good luck this season!