Saturday, May 8, 2010

Owner Interview - domiisgod

Welcome, Domi.
1st of all I'd like to say thanks for your interest. 


Thanks for the interview.  First, who is domiisgod?
When I 1st joined WIS, I actually was joining the hockey simulation game.  I was only signing up for a hockey player name, or so I thought.  So I love Tie Domi.  I met him in a diner once as a teenager when he was playing AHL hockey in Binghamton, NY.  He was as drunk as I was and was really cool.  Anyways, he has always been my favorite player and that’s where my name comes from. Oh, my name is Dave. 


How did you learn about whatifsports.com?  Which games have you played?
I learned about WIS on accident.  I was Google searching for some stratomatic baseball, and ran into this sports simulation site.  I checked it out and have not gone back to find that stratomatic game that I was originally searching for.  I have played 80+ seasons of HBD.  I started with the hockey, tried the hoops dynasty, football dynasty and the baseball simulation.  They were ok, but once you play HBD and everything involved there is no going back.


Besides simulation sports websites, what are some of your other interests and hobbies?
I am a single dad of a kickass 11 year old girl.  She knows this website and tells me when to rest my players.  I love baseball, I am a fantasy baseball guru, I have started my own business www.sportsfanschool.com where I do fantasy baseball consulting.  I am even a paid consultant for one HBD player, and I am consulting him on HBD! I love poker and my DVR.  I help coach her softball team and head coached her hoops team as well.  I love horse racing as well, used to own some but not anymore. Too costly. Finally, I love to cook and I’m getting better at it.  My cookbook selection is increasing almost daily.


Why do you think it is that sports are so big in our culture? 
I think sports are so big due to the lives of the athletes, the history of the teams, the tradition of the game, and the intense spirit of competition.  Fantasy sports and gambling are big too.


Which five people, past or present sit at your dream roundtable discussion?
1) Don Mattingly 2) Terry Bradshaw 3) Tie Domi 4) Billy Martin 5a) Howard Cosell 5b) Chef Gordon Ramsey 5c) My Uncle Lew


Who are your favorite players of all-time?
My favorite players of all time: 1) Don Mattingly. My idol, my hero.  I also love: Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, Bucky Dent, Willie Randolph, Ron Guidry, Tim Lincecum (yes, a non Yankee), and of course, all time greats DiMaggio, Ruth, Gehrig. You get the idea....


Which are your favorite teams?
The Yankees, Steelers, Knicks, NY Rangers and Anaheim Ducks, Notre Dame football and basketball. 


Did you play baseball (or other sports) growing up?
Growing up, I played baseball, tennis, a little football, and some hoops.  Now I mainly play softball.  I’m a killer 2B and do a little catching.  What I haven’t done yet and would love to do is play in the World Series of Poker--the Main Event--I’m good enough, but I don’t have the 10k to enter.


What would you consider your greatest WIS moment?
By far, it was FINALLY winning the World Series--in our Cobbfather World no less! Got the monkey off my back--and though I’m like 1-84 or something, I have made the playoffs over 40 times.  I just can’t seem to get very lucky in the playoffs.


In HBD, how do you allocate your budget?
My budget allocating is pretty simple: I crank my advanced scouting and training budgets to 20, and keep medical at least at 16 million.  Need to have the advanced scouting high to make good, accurate deals, and the training helps prevent injuries and develops your players.  I usually don’t get into the international market as the prices are over inflated and you can’t always count on enough of them to come.  I only budget 10m for coaching, and the more I spend on payroll, the less scouting, and vice-versa.


How do you approach off-season events with players such as arbitration and free agency?
I will resign the players I really like and feel are most valuable before rollover..Regarding arbitration, I almost always sign them in arb for the 1st 2 arb years as the salary is lower, if I really like them Ill sign them long term in arb year 3, if not, I’ll sign them for the 3rd arb year, then let them walk FA and try to get a draft pick---often times, I’ll let a FA walk, and if not resigned by another owner, I can get them after spring training for much lower.


What is your general strategy for hiring/re-hiring coaches?
I resign everyone I can, then wait until the 2nd day of coach hiring then do my hiring. Since I don’t enjoy coach hiring (sorry Kid), I’ll sign the best I can get in day 2 except for important ML positions or rookie coaches then I’ll pay for them.


How do you finalize rosters at each level?  What role does spring training play in your decision making?   I do them all in spring training, basing it on performance, upside and to some extent, age.  I invite everyone that has ML possibilities to spring training, and get hitters 20-30 AB's and starting pitchers a dozen innings, and relievers a few short appearances....though I always have bad starts and mess up spring training so don't take my advice here.


What is your basic strategy for setting your starting lineups and pitching rotation?
I always play with 12 hitters and 13 pitchers.  5 man rotations.  I set the minors up how I like, use the management settings, and let them roll.  I don’t have to make day to day changes, just check it now and then and fix the injuries and hitting fatigue.  I have figured out how to let the minors manage themselves.  (As I answer your questions, I am watching Chef Gordon Ramsey make this fat ass chick cry on Kitchen Nightmares, It's just classic).  My starting lineup is pretty classic too, speed in the 1,2,9 holes, best hitter in the 3 hole, power in 4, 5, 6 and hide the lesser hitters in 7 and 8 hole....Pitching wise, 5 SP, Long A, Long B, mop, 2 set a 2 set B and a top closer. I always try to build a dominant pen and I am loyal to my best closers to a fault.


What do you believe are the more important individual player ratings for performance?
I think the most important player ratings for pitchers are control, splits (especially vs. RH) having 1 pitch over 80, 1 over 70 and none under 45ish if you can help it.  As far as hitters, I love a great batting eye, great vRH, and depending on the park, will determine the rest. 


How do you approach in-season player events like the draft, international prospects, waivers and promotions/demotions?  I prepare for the draft last minute, the night before.  I ignore internationals, and don’t use Rule 5 much, as the good worlds I am in don’t leave much out for the Rule 5. As far as end of the season stuff, I do all my promotions during the playoffs to try to avoid as many retirements as possible.  I need their slow, fat asses to fill my minor league teams, not to retire and sit home and eat donuts.....BRB, I have to go get a donut, and we bought a tasty dozen last night....  


Do you think your strategy will be conducive to building a multi-season dynasty?  Or, do you feel that your team may be great for a couple of season, but then must rebuild? 
My NY Yankee style of managing usually leads to higher payrolls.  I like to build with trading and an occasionally lucky draft.  Though in my Cobbfather world we all play in, I have drafted pretty well (Martinez, Donatello...etc...).  I can rebuild a franchise from scratch (see Anaheim in Clemens, Jacksonville in Duff Beer, and I can keep a top team going (Cobbfather, Pine Tar world--Philly, etc)...so I never have to completely rebuild, I do it on the fly, Yankee style!  


Do you have any favorite players from any of your HBD teams? 
My favorite player on any HBD team is Javier Chavez, on my Wichita team in Gehrig World.  I have had him for 11 seasons and will NEVER trade him--EVER. I love most of my players on most of my teams--if I don’t Ill trade them or release them! Love Ken Evans from Cobbfather, Rich Meyers from Pine Tar, Juan Pulido from Clemens and many more. 


How much time do you spend on your HBD teams?  How much do you think is necessary to be competitive?   As far as time spent, waaaaay tooo much! It might cut down some soon, as I am taking over some new responsibilities soon and moving my office next to the CFO, so daytime hours spent might decrease soon, hell, I’m spending an hour or more answering all these questions ! 


Who are the users that you respect the most?
Wow.  I'd say, starbuckdc, bpdelia, rawdk (believe it or not), thorku (don’t tell him I said that), Mookie79, hypnotoad, and a bunch of others I can’t think of off the top of my head...A couple I least respect are Threester, Zbrent, Reggiedeal and all other tankers out there like Reggie........ 


What's your favorite aspect of HBD?
The fact that I get to do everything that an owner, GM and manager all get to do for a real team! 


What is your least favorite aspect of HBD?  If you could change three things about HBD, what would they be?    My least favorite is the sometimes complete and utter randomness of the SIM and also coach hiring is so BORING (yeah Kid, publish that!)..What 3 things would I change? 1) FA negotiations...seems like the FA will only take what they ask for and their not very flexible....2) all playoff series are 7 games long. 3) More minor league FA players, both hitters and pitchers. 


If you were in HBD, what position would you play?  And, what would you be rated?
Very interesting, as I have thought about it before.  If I were a HBD player, I’d be a 2B.  My range would be 75, my glove 96, arm strength 55, accuracy 65.  My speed would be 69, my health and durability about 50 each.  Hitting, my contact would be 85, power 50, 75 vRH and LH, batting eye 12 (I don’t walk and almost never take pitches)....Overall, I’d be about a 74 overall...... 
Well, there you go, the Cobbfather world now knows a little more about Domiisgod....


Check out my website: www.sportsfanschool.com.  It's my new business that I just started.  Let me know what you think!