Monday, June 24, 2024

Meet an Owner - minihouston

Catherine Trammell - Contributing Reporter

 


Q: Welcome back minihouston, what made you decide to comeback and purchase the Tokyo franchise? 

A: A couple of things really: missed competing, Tacoma owner played a part due to all our chats about his franchise moves, moving the team back to the US, and couldn’t pass up the opportunity to try and beat daubs’ Canadian franchise in his own division; who I’ve known for nearly 15 yrs. A victory against friends is that much sweeter!

Q: On that note, why is the blog so negative against Canadians?  

A: Blame John Candy! Actually I think it all started with a How I Met Your Mother reference about colored money and Tim Horton's then it just became a thing. Hope nobody here is actually Canadian. 

Q: What is your favorite part about building a franchise? Do you try to make a lot of trades? Would you rather build through the draft or IFA? Or just buy a team like Steinbrenner used to do?

A: Let's see, receiving trade offers that completely rip my franchise off and are one sided, when owners play catchers in centerfield, when people hoard prospects for 10 seasons, when international free agents cost $35M+; oh wait...you said favorite. My mistake!

Q: What do you think about the way fosterdj3 left the franchise? 

A: I saw it coming, partially because he seemed to have large inactive spells but also because he was signing numerous HUGE max contracts and to old payers, like the JC Wall one that's still on the books for 3 more seasons. You could tell he was just waiting until future Hall of Famer Omar Gonzales' contract was up, then that was his cue to cut bait. But it's not all for naught, he did leave a few good pieces to start a rebuild from. As the blog pointed out the winning percentage of the minor leagues was sub .200; so it might take a bit before I can get them where I'd like them. 

Q: Speaking of those, who of your current roster do you like most? Who are you looking forward to the ML team in the next couple of seasons?


A: Well Bob McDade has been a popular piece among opposing teams that I'm willing to trade. Power hitter with plenty years of control; doesn't hit arbitration until S62, I extended Spud Campbell for 5 years at $5.8M - he's another 30 HR hitter on a .295 average; and I accepted the mutual option of Parco Garces who is another 30 HR hitter, even hit .302 last season. The latter I'd be happy to cover some costs if the prospect is right. Campbell and McDade are both on great contracts so no rush to trade them but never say never. 

Q: What are your goals for the upcoming season? Are you looking to push for the playoffs? Or do you expect to rebuild for a couple of seasons?

A: Well last time my initial goal was to have a better season the one prior, but considering he made the playoffs and a lot of those players either declined with age or became free agents; I just want to kick off this rebuild better than I did in Florida (before moving to New Orleans). I feel like I'm off to a decent start (dying man's last words?) with the FAs I signed this off-season. Not sure I compete with the OKCs and Salems, but I'll compete with Van...those Canadians for 3rd in the division. 

Q: So we have to ask about your old franchise. They went on to win the S56 World Series and made it back but lost in the S58 World Series. What have you got to say? 

A: It was a well prepared team that I lofted up in the air for someone to hit a home run with. But it still takes a good owner to get there, the team was far from perfect. Congrats to Ploppie. Appears he's entered a rebuild at the same time as me, we'll see who gets back to the World Series first. Game on!

Q: What advice would you give a new owner in Cobbfather? Besides making sure to ignore most conversations with the Commissioner?

A: Check out the new HBD discord - link on the forums. 

Q: Any final thoughts going into the Season?

A: Bourbon Street better watch out, I'm coming for their Sazeracs! Oh and happy to be back in Cobbfather.