Saturday, October 9, 2021

Meet the Owner - jverrier

  Catherine Trammell - Contributing Reporter


Catherine Trammell: Good morning once again Cobbfather faithful! The season is officially in full swing but we wanted to take a chance to meet another new owner, jverrier. Let's go to the source to learn a little bit about him and his history as an owner. 

jverrier: I was a one-league owner for awhile - 10 seasons, all in Gehrig. I took a break when work life got too busy, but I joined up again at the start of the pandemic and have since branched out into a couple of other leagues, including this one. 

CT: 3 World Series titles and 11 Division Titles thru 25 seasons isn't half bad. What are your thoughts on the all the recent ownership changes of your franchise? What do you think they left you with? 

J: It definitely made picking a direction easier. The previous owner started the rebuilding process, including selling off some veterans, so I just followed that lead. I might've made some different decisions, but there are far worse scenarios to inherit than a blank slate. 

CT: Well the common trend is #BlamePloppie. Let's talk about your ownership style. What is your favorite part of building a franchise? Where will we see you most active? 

J: I enjoy the trade game - hashing out fair value, making reads on prospects, etc. The draft and IFA market are fun too, but I don't love outright tanking and accumulating years of high draft picks. Making the right maneuvers is more rewarding. 

CT: Ah, the trade game. Surprised you haven't traded with Atlanta yet. What should we expect from the Rising Stars the next two years? 

J: Probably a lot of losses, unfortunately. But some of the prospects I traded for are further along in their development, so hopefully it won't be a long process. 

CT: Some preseason trades with Buffalo, Washington Dc, and Columbus were fun to which. Of all your current prospects, who is your favorite? 

J: Noe Lecuona is probably my best prospect, but I'm partial to Ichiro Suzuki's revival as a relief pitcher. 

CT: Ah, the Columbus deal, I'm sure trading Cornelius was a tough decision. Bonilla is doing quite well for the Corgis as well, closing out 19 of 20 games thus far this season. Perhaps this will be a unicorn where we see both teams win? Yes, seeing Ichiro in last year's draft was quite interesting. I believe he was the 49th pick overall, I'm sure the durability and stamina had him slipping on a few draft boards. What would you consider a win for this season? 

J: Development of some key prospects and keep making good acquisitions. Just trying to build a good foundation and take it from there. 

CT: Looking forward to see what deadline deals you might end up making. While I can tell you nobody was upset you moved the franchise out of Canada, but why Hartford? 

J: I grew up right outside Hartford. Don't love being in such a hitter's park, but I try to pick locations with some personal connection. I have another team in New Britain, which is also in Connecticut and another in Los Angeles, where I live now. 

CT: Well at least it wasn't Canada anymore! That's my second favorite hashtag, #BlameCanada. So what has been your favorite part of Cobbfather thus far? 

J: Atlanta's bad trade offers, kidding! This blog is really fun. And the discord has been useful so far. Seems like a fun, collegial atmosphere overall.

CT: You are too kind, I'm blushing! So when you aren't busy with the corporate life, what do you like to do for fun in your free time? 

J: HBD has kind of become my primary hobby, but I also watch a lot of basketball and try to eat a lot of good food. 

CT: You mean to tell me there are other sports than baseball? I'll have to look into that. What advice would you give a rookie owner just coming into the league? 

J: Probably to ignore overall ratings, and read the forums. It took me awhile to figure out what ratings mattered. 

CT: I think that is where our computer system fails the power rankings, the no matter what skynet thinks they just can't get a read on the intangibles of player. Any final thoughts for our one dedicated reader. 

J: We're open for business in Hartford, so my DMs are open if you want to discuss any vets. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to getting to know the league and its owners better in the coming weeks. 

CT: There you have it folks, a man of many words; jverrier. Welcome to the league sir!