Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Meet the Owner - CollegeBoy33

Catherine Trammell - Contributing Reporter


Q: Tell us about Collegeboy33. What is he like? What does he do in his spare time when not obsessing over your rosters?

A: CB is a man that wears many hats, but none that fit perfectly. When not working, I try home improvement, parenting, fantasy sports, etc. I gave up real sports years ago with injuries piling up.

Q: What did you like most about taking over your Boston franchise? You have some big shoes to fill taking over an owner who had that franchise for 50 seasons.

A: I liked OKC first! ;) BOS was two fold. 1- I can't stand terribly managed, bloated contracts and BOS didn't have those. Which leads to 2- it appeared alog and I didn't have similar philosophies, so having type A/B departing FAs allows me to take it in a different direction more quickly on my terms.

Q: We heard that the commissioner promised you one team and then took it away from you. Is this true? How much do you want to punch the commissioner in the face for that?

A: Haha, yeah what a jerkstore.

Q: We know that you are newer to Hardball Dynasty, so what is your favorite part about building a franchise? Do you try to make a lot of trades? Would you rather build through the draft or IFA? Or just buy a team like Steinbrenner used to do? From the looks of your first offseason, I'm guessing the draft with 7 of the first 50 picks in the draft.

A: You're guessing right. I love the draft. It's all in my control to get exactly what I'm looking for. I probably spend way too much time prepping as I can get to about a top-125 list of players. I get burned on intl too many times, whether from poor scouting or being outbid and then sitting on cash with no good players left. I'm always scouring rosters for good trade fits, but I'm not too active out of the gate since I don't have a good grasp on guys historically yet. I'm telling you, prepping so much for drafts really gets me intimate knowledge on a lot of guys that I'll remember down the road.

Q: Of your current roster, who do you like most? Are there prospects that you are looking forward to promoting? Prospects that you want to see develop? What are you looking forward to with your ML team in the next couple of seasons?

A: Oof tough question. There's not a lot to like on the ML team anymore since they all left! I like Yarnall and Alvarez in the MiL but just because they're the most recent too guys picked. Like above, I'm looking forward to getting new guys that fit my style.

Q: What are your goals for the upcoming season?

A: Goals - In my 17 short seasons, I struggled my first 8. Since then, I've won my division every single season, and that includes taking over teams in two other leagues that were abysmal. Not sure I can do it this season, but I'm going to try. I'm also a big proponent of MiL team success. I almost like that more than ML.

Q: Know it's only in first season here at Cobbfather, but what has been your favorite aspect(s) so far?

A: I really like the banter on the chat board. The game itself is the cerebral part, but the WC is entertaining.

Q: Do you have any advice you would like to give to others for HBD? What brought you success in your other franchises?

A: Advice? Hmmm. Plan ahead with your finances. I'm typically about 3 seasons out on knowing exactly what my contracts, payroll and budgets will be. I know what position I'll need to focus on and what I can afford. That's why I struggled the first few years.

Q: There seems to be a bias against Canada, especially from that team on the Bayou, so I ask you--Canada? Yay or Nay?

A: I'm indifferent, eh. (EDITOR NOTE: The correct answer is nay!)

Q: We heard through the grapevine that you knew goldenbear88. Is this true? Anything you want to say about him, good or bad? Doubt he'd read this anyway. ;)

A: I 'met' Goldenbaer virtually right here in HBD. He worked IRL with my old high school bud. That guy is who got me into this HBD drug addiction. I feel like I know GB through the association of my hometown bud.

Q: Any final thoughts going into the Season?

A: I'm glad to be a part of Cobbfather. I actually really like that I don't know anybody here. There are some guys that are in so many leagues (and they usually aren't the greatest competitors) that it's refreshing to think everyone here appreciates the game and not just the volume of teams. I am curious though..why 'Cobbfather', and should I be concerned with some unpleasant history with the 'Cobb' league?